Monday, August 20, 2007

Rathi plans to walk down the ramp


In a free-wheeling chat, Rathi Vinay Jha, director general, FDCI, talks about her modelling inclinations and her love for sarees.

Rathi Vinay Jha, director general FDCI, is in a chilled out mood these days. She has lost four kgs and is geared up for the fashion week.

“If you write that I have lost weight, I will shoot you,” she says. “I come from the land where you don’t need a license to use a gun,” she added. Well, Mrs Jha, what is life without some risk?

When we call Rathi ‘chilled out’, we really mean it. “If all the models from Delhi plan to leave us for Mumbai, then I and my team will model. You know you have to help out when natural calamities happen,” she said.

So how did you lose all this weight? "It is a conscious effort. But you are not going to write about it!” But even if she models, she plans to be in her favourite saree .

“20 years ago when I had joined NIFT, I noticed the faculty cutting their hair and changing their dress sense. But I remained the same, in my saree. I always used to tell them that I am the least fashionable amongst you all and I know the least about fashion. And this was supposed to be tongue-In-cheek. But even today I am very confident of myself, which may be simple and down-to-earth. 40 years ago I used to wear synthetic clothes, but when I made up my mind that no more synthetic, there was no turning back,” she said.

Even though Rathi is always around the most talented fashion designers of India, she has very few designer saree s in her wardrobe. She prefers going to Chennai and buying her stock there.

“There they even have denim and mobile pocket saree s," she said laughing.

So till we meet Rathi again with a bulletproof jacket on, keep watching this space.

Source: timesofindia.indiatimes.com

No comments: